Though collision is our business, for your safety, we hope you are never in an accident. However, in the event that you are, please take a moment to review this list of 10 steps you can take to manage the aftermath immediately following a collision.
- Remain calm.
- Make sure all drivers and passengers in all vehicles involved are safe. If medical attention is required, or when in doubt, call an ambulance.
- Make sure all parties involved are out of immediate harm’s way.
- If vehicles are drivable and injuries are minor, move vehicles out of traffic and to a shoulder or parking lot.
- If you desire, call law enforcement. To read why we recommend that law enforcement be called in all accidents, click here.
- Exchange insurance and identification information with the other driver(s). We’ve made this easy with our Collision Information Form, which you can download here.
- If possible to do safely, use your camera or cell phone to take photos of the vehicles and surrounding scene. Your insurance company may offer a smart phone app to assist in this process. We recommend taking photos of all vehicles, the license plates of the other vehicles, the damage on all vehicles, skid marks and/or broken glass on the road, any damaged property nearby, and any extenuating factors.
- Jot down your recollection of the accident and any noteworthy facts. This will assist you as you speak to industry professionals in the coming weeks.
- Notify your insurance company. Your insurance company may offer a smart phone app to assist in this process.
- Contact the repair facility of your choice to arrange to drop off your vehicle or have it towed to them. The repair facility will assist you in completing your insurance claim and repairs.
If you choose to work with us, you can have your vehicle towed to us directly from the scene of the accident. You can give your tow company our address of 1109 N Sickles Dr, Tempe, AZ 85281 and our phone number of (480) 248-9049. If you do not have a tow company, you can call us directly and we can arrange a tow for you.
If your vehicle is not drivable from the scene of the accident and you do not have a tow company or destination, the Law Enforcement Officer will call the government contracted tow company in the area of the accident, and your vehicle will be towed to that company’s storage lot, where you or the insurance company will have to pay storage fees until you retrieve your vehicle.
We have made it easy to keep track of accident details with this free downloadable form. Print a copy and store it in your glovebox for use following a collision.
*Disclaimer: The preceding is intended to be a list of suggestions based on our industry experience. This does not constitute legal advice. If you have a question about your rights or legal procedures, please contact a Licensed Attorney.